How To Replace A 3 Way Lamp Switch
Every person has lighting preferences. Some want it bright, some want it dim, while some want it neutral. Sometimes when you’re in your house, you get into a small fight to which light condition should stay. Good thing there are now available 3-way switch on lamps. But what if it’s broken and needs a replacement? Consider your problem solved! Because in this article, you will learn how to replace a 3-way lamp switch.
Perks of Having a 3-way Switch
Before we begin explaining the procedure on how to replace a 3-way lamp switch, we will first share the perks of having a 3-way switch. Well, if you have a 3-way switch, it means you have the power to adjust the light in your lamp to low, medium, and high. Unlike regular lamps, you can choose the light configuration base on your mood and need. It’s perfect for bedrooms, game room, living room, and guest rooms.
The Replacement Procedure
If you are ready to know how to replace a 3-way lamp switch, make sure to ready the materials and follow the procedure below. Remember, if it is your first time to do this, follow the instructions carefully without skipping. Because if not, your lamp may fail to light up again. So be patient with the procedure.
What you need:
- New socket switch
- Flat-head screwdriver
What to do:
- Make sure you unplug your lamp before touching it.
- Remove the cover of the lampshade, light bulb, and mounting rod.
- Remove the screws between the bottom of your lamp base and socket.
- Gently detach the socket from the base.
- Gently lift the socket to unveil the wirings of the lamp.
- Once you slide the cardboard tube, you will see the wire connections.
- Detach the two-wire connections by unscrewing them.
- Disconnect the two wires.
- Take off the old wires inside the thread rod.
- Insert the new 3-way switch inside the thread rod.
- Connect the wires based on their identical color.
- To complete the connection, tighten them with a screw.
- Slide the cardboard sleeve to hide the thread rod.
- Gently press the socket to the base until it’s locked in place.
- Put back the 3-way light bulb, shade cover, and shade-mounting rod.
- Plug the cord of your lamp.
- Test if it works.
- Note: It may be tempting to get the work done with the lamp plugged and switched on to get an easy result, but don’t ever try that because it can cause electric shock.
It is easy to see, work and sleep if you have the control in your lamp light configuration. Imagine how you can avoid small fights and discomfort with 3-way switch lamps. But if the switch itself becomes faulty, immediate action should be done to prevent inconvenience. With the tips that we have given you on how to replace a regular switch to a 3-way lamp switch, repairing your lamp would be easy!