How To Make A Lava Lamp That Lasts Forever?
They say nothing lasts forever. Well, maybe a lava lamp can. Here's how to make a lava lamp that lasts forever. Invite your kids with you to join you in doing this project.
Let's Make A Permanent Lava Lamp
Yes, you can create a permanent lava lamp. Follow the procedure and tips below on how to make a lava lamp that lasts forever.
- Prepare all the ingredients you need to make your lava lamp. You will be needing the following:
- Get your glass container. Take note that it should be glass and not plastic. Glass container is perfect in making permanent lava lamp at it can be heated. Use a glass container that can be sealed well.
- Add the oil. Use baby oil or even vegetable oil. They have a similar density, and they will make great bubbles inside the lamp.
- Add the alcohol. Use a mix of 70% and 90% alcohol. You can buy these alcohols in a nearby grocery store or local drug store. Make sure that you mix the alcohol well and keep it away from heat to avoid accidents. Having alcohol near the heat source can cause fire, so be careful. Adding the alcohol mix in the glass will let the oil move down to the bottom of the glass container, and it will slightly move upwards. In case the oil does not move, add more alcohol until you see that the oil begins to move in several directions.
- Place the glass container onto the heat source. After mixing all the ingredients, it's time to let it undergo the heating process. Put your container onto the heating device like an incandescent bulb. Heat the lamp for at least an hour. You will then start to see oil bubbles beginning to move. It will begin to form different interesting shapes and sizes.
In case that the bubbles disappear or begin to settle at the bottom of the glass container, just add salt and stir. Salt will break the oil into smaller particles, and the salt will be able to produce more bubbles.
Tips In Creating Permanent Lava Lamp
Here are some tips in making your lava lamp prettier than ever.
- Heat the lamp frequently to help keep the bubbles moving around.
- Adding more alcohol can create more bubbles. That's how alcohol reacts with oil. It separates small molecules, thus producing more bubbles.
- Make your bubbles colorful by using different color oil paints. Your kids will surely love it if you use more colors.
- Add salt and heat the lamp if you want to see it in full effect.
How to make a lava lamp that lasts forever is possible. But make sure to take care of your lava lamp as well. Remember that it is made from a glass container, and glasses are breakable. If you are not careful, you can break the glass.