How Many Watts Does A Lamp Use? – Guide For Homeowners
Look up, and from afar, you’ll see something shinier than a diamond in your hand. Yes! The lamp. We can enjoy the perks of having useful lamps, all thanks to the brilliant inventor. But have you ever wondered, "How many watts does a lamp use to shine that bright?” In this article, we will answer that thought of yours.
Types of Lamps
To answer your question on how many watts a lamp use, it is imperative for you to know that there are different types of lamp used in every household. These lamps vary in size, color, and function. Which means you can choose or use a lamp depending on your need and preference. To help you understand the different types of lamps and their watt usage, here’s a simple comparison below:
- LED Lamp – One of the most used lamps, especially, inside the households, outdoors, indoors, on the roads, and even during emergency
How many watts does this light bulb use? It uses 80 to 200 watts.
- High-Pressure Sodium Vapor Lamp – Perfect for lighting streets
How many watts does this light bulb use? It uses 100 to 150 watts.
- Compact Fluorescent Lamp – Ideal in lighting households and offices
How many watts does this light bulb use? It uses 60 to 80 watts.
- Low Pressure Sodium Vapor Lamp – Perfect in places with foggy weather which is why it is commonly used in the streets.
How many watts does this light bulb use? It uses 150 to 200 watts.
- Metal Halide Lamp – Ideal in lighting huge facilities like schools, factories, offices, public places, arenas, huge spaces, and even in cars
How many watts does this light bulb use? It uses 75 to 100 watts.
- Mercury Vapor Lamp – Perfect in lighting outdoor facilities
How many watts does this light bulb use? It uses 35 to 65 watts.
- Incandescent Lamp – Ideal in lighting households and for decorative lighting
How many watts does this light bulb use? It uses 8 to 20 watts.
- Fluorescent Lamp – Perfect for small spaces and indoors
How many watts does this light bulb use? It uses 50 to 70 watts.
- Tungsten Halogen Lamp – Ideal for theaters, cinemas, and indoor arenas
How many watts does this light bulb use? It uses 20 to 50 watts.
Lumens vs. Watts
Now that you know how much watts a light bulb uses, we’ll share with you the difference of lumens to watts. A lot of people are confused with these two, especially when buying lamps for their homes. But if you know their difference, there is no need for you to read the long list of product descriptions.
When we say lumens, this is the measure or quantity of light that a lamp sends off. So if you want to use a brighter lamp, you should buy the one that offers higher lumens. How about watts? Well, watts refer to the energy consumption of light in order to shed a quantity of light. So it is easy to see how these two work together in order to light every household or facility.
As we look around, you can see different types of lamps. But little did you know that they differ in watt usage. Some of you may be choosing lights at home, depending on the style and color of the lamp. Sometimes you wonder why your electric bill suddenly rises after replacing the light bulbs at home. But now that you know how many watts different lamps use, you can choose better. Since you know their differences, next time you buy lamps for your place, you know the right type and wattage to use!